Have you ever been out far away from a power source with a fading battery in your favorite gadget? Wish there was a solution to this? Sure, many gadgets and smartphones allow you to swap batteries, but buying a spare battery for every device can get expensive, and it’s bulky to carry around a bunch of spare equipment.
PhoneSuit has the solution: The Primo Battery Cube. You may remember I reviewed a similar product back in February which was designed specifically for iDevices. The Battery Cube offers very similar functionality with a lot more versatility. Instead of the proprietary Apple connector, this compact package offers both mini and micro USB connectors for maximum compatibility.
The package itself is pretty neat. It’s 1.5″ in both length and width, and 3/4″ thick. On the front, it has a small mirror which hides 4 charging indicator arrows. The side houses two DC-in ports (both mini and micro USB). This offers nice charging flexibility. On the bottom, a small rubber flap covers two charging ports which ratchet out into position. This allows you to connect the Cube to your device and move it to a comfortable position while using it.
Here are the rest of the highlights:
- Powerful 1000mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- Integrated Micro-USB and Mini-USB charging tips to provide instant power to over 95% of SmartPhones.
- Cube features two input ports as well so it can be recharged by either a Micro-USB or Mini-USB cable.
- Charging tips rotate and lock into place allowing you to position the Cube for a comfortable feel while using your phone.
- Tips fold cleanly away in the back for protection when not in use.
- Extremely small size about one and half inches (40mm) in length and width
- Four-Point LED meter displays the remaining charge
- Includes one Micro-USB cable
- Detachable keychain loop
- Cube is also charge compatible with a large variety of Bluetooth headsets and USB powered electronic devices
I tested the Cube on several of my gadgets including my Nexus One, my Sansa Clip, and a couple of bluetooth headsets with excellent results. Although I have a spare N1 battery, sometimes I just need a quick 20% bump to make it the rest of the day. This is the perfect thing to throw in your bag and have the peace of mind that you won’t run out of juice.
At $39.95 and available directly from PhoneSuit.com, it’s a little pricey compared to just buying a spare battery for one device. The beauty of this Cube is in the flexibility it offers. It’s definitely a welcome addition to my gadget bag.